Amateur Football

Playing in the Spirit of Football,
Promoting Fair Play and Respect for All

  • Written about 28 minutes ago
    Pre season underway 4 many in the the afc with 1 goal a trip to the oval in may to pick up lots of silverware…

Results and Match Reports


Amateur Football Combination 1 - 3 Herts Senior County League

On a mild evening with the pitch soft in places, the AFC Representative team kicked off their 2016-17 season against the Herts Senior County League (HSCL) at London Lions' ground on Rowley Lane, Barnet.

The team with 3 debutants was unrecognisable from the team I had initially wanted to put out with injuries and unavailability leading me to play some players in unfamiliar positions.

The AFC started the game strongly against a tough HSCL team, forcing a couple of chances from debutants Jarvis Cheek and Tom Sergeant in the opening few minutes.

Shortly after Sergeant was played in by another debutant Asha Cato-Tyson, finding himself in a 1 on 1 with the advancing keeper. Instead of chipping the keeper and finding the back of the empty net, the ball was safely in the hands of the keeper.

Two minutes later, the AFC defence failed to clear the ball from their penalty area and the ball found its way into the path of the HSCL striker and it was 1- 0 after 12 minutes. This rocked the AFC momentum and after 24 minutes we went 2 down with a well-taken goal from the HSCL forward.

We continued to battle in the latter stages of the first half, creating a couple of half chances for Craig Jones, Tom Sergeant and Jarvis Cheek but without forcing their keeper to make a save.

At half time, we discussed a couple tactical changes and once again started well.

With 15 gone in the second half, and with the AFC seeing most of the possession, the ball was played down the middle by the keeper. The ball was caught in the lights and Mark Nelson misjudged the bounce only for the HSCL striker to run through one on one with Keeper Parlett to beat and clinch his hat-trick.

What followed was a scrappy 15 minutes with neither team looking likely to add to the score until Jarvis picked up the ball on the left inside, cut inside and clipped a cross to the near post for Sergeant to flick past the keeper and put us back in the game.

The AFC increased the pressure, clearly having the better possession at this stage and looked likely to pulling another one back. 

With 10 to go the ball was crossed from the right into the path of Cheek who looked odds on to stroke the ball home. The keeper appeared lucky to not be penalised for taking out our No.11 and what would have been a clear penalty. A goal at this stage would have brought panic to the heart of the already rattled HSCL defence and set up a hectic final few minutes.

To add to his memorable debut, Tom Sergeant was cautioned for a strong aerial challenge in the on the HSCL defender and a few minutes later was fortunate to not be dismissed for a 2nd caution, together with the HSCL centre-half who likewise has already been earlier cautioned when both of them began wrestling whilst waiting for a corner. The referee choosing to sensibly issue a strong verbal reprimand and keep both players on the field of play.

*The number 8 shirt was rested in respect of Rep side player Curtis Payne who tragically taken from us on 14 November 2016.

Overall, it was a disappointing result but allowed me a chance to look at a few players. We know the next few matches will be used to prepare for the Annual big ones against Southern Amateur League and Yorkshire League, ultimately getting us all focused on the FA Inter League Cup which has been confirmed for next year.

My thanks go to HSCL for their hospitability and to Lee Okugben of Old Parmiterians for his assistance on the night.

Have a great Christmas and I look forward to reporting better results in January.

David Cross - Rep Team Manager



1.      Chris Partlett (Old Suttonians)

2.      Chris North (Old Wokingians)

3.      Charlie Caine (Old Meadonians) 

4.      Aidan Chapman (Old Meadonians)

5.      Timi Dorgu (Old Parmiterians) 

6.      Mark Nelson (Old Minchendenians) 

7.      Tom Sergeant (Old Parmiterians)

8.      *

9.      Craig Jones (Old Meadonians)

10.  Asha Cato-Tyson (Old Parmiterians) 

11.  Jarvis Cheek (Old Thorntonians)

12.  John Sergeant (Old Parmiterians)


Scorer – Tom Sergeant

Fixtures 2016/17

Herts Senior County League (a)  lost 1-3

Date: November

Venue: Rowley Lane Sports Ground, Rowley Lane, Barnet, EN5 3HW


Oxford University (h) Drew o-o

Date: March 1st

Venue: Uxbridge FC


Arthurian League (h)  Lost 10-9 pens after a 1-1 draw

Date: February 22nd

Venue: Uxbridge FC


Southern Amateur League (a) Lost 1-3

Date: March 15th

Venue: Potters Bar FC


Yorkshire Amateur League (Seniors Lost 1-8  and U21 won 4-1) 

Date: 25th March 2017

Venue: Bealonians FC


Yorkshire Amateur League 0 - 0 Amateur Football Combination 

On an excellent surface the AFC started with a swagger that was a joy to watch, with a couple of new boys starting their first game, the side looked balanced and composed. Early possession was good for the AFC and only the final quality ball was missing, though a couple of half chances were created and missed.

The Yorkshire Amateur League (YAL) looked to push and take control with their extra player in midfield, they pressed and charged around but had little impact on the AFC defence of M Sawyer (GK), Caine, Ohuonu, O’Sullivan and the impressive Chapman

YAL imposed themselves in a 15 minute period which saw them hit the bar from 20 yards and test M Sawyer who responded with a couple of good saves.

The AFC did not panic and continued to move the ball well and own possession – following a good bout of this, Ohuonu got to the goal line and was unlucky not to find an AFC player in a better position. Then the best chance of the game, Gracia and Tyler combined to get the latter to the goal line and great deep cross found the unmarked Bright who sent a thundering volley against the bar, unlucky.

Half time 0-0.

The second half started well with the AFC taking control, when we did not have the ball and when the YAL pressed Chapman appeared in total control, winning every header and tackle and producing some positive passing to release the impressive Bright and Jones.

Chances continued to come but were not taken – the best two, following great build up play down our right hand side Bright and Ohuonu a pass found I Sawyer, but from 6 yards out his stab come shot went wide, a great chance missed.

The next effort came again down the right hand side, Bright found Jones who cut inside and drifted past a couple of YAL defenders to hit a good left foot drive, just wide of the post with keeper well beaten.

As the game neared its end the YAL loaded with attackers to try and score to win the game and the cup, there nearest coming in last minute from a corner with there 6’ 8’’ keeper just heading wide. The game finished 0-0 and the AFC retained the trophy.

This was my last game as AFC Representative Team Manager and I have to say the players did me proud and made it a very enjoyable and rewarding day.

I’d also like to thank and give credit to Andy MacRae, John Reid, Charlie Reid and Alex Grayburn for their support with this fixture and all my previous games.

Bill Blackwell



Yorkshire Amateur League U21s 2 - 3 Amateur Football Combination U21s

The U21’s travelled to Yorkshire with what was thought to be a young inexperienced squad – (We only had one 21 year old player and the rest were 18 and 19 year olds and one 17 year old) how wrong were we!

Against a physically stronger Yorkshire squad, we started slowly, lacking composure and struggling to gain any time on the ball. In the first 20 minutes, Keeper Harry Barfoot was called upon three times, getting down quickly to turn two shots round the post and showing safe hands to gather the other one cleanly. We were up against it with our defence gelling together to hold out.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, we knew if we could get the ball, we had the pace and the ability to cause danger via Clapham Old Xaverians striker Darnell Fearon. In the 35th minute, we won a free kick just inside the Yorkshire half. University of Hertfordshire defender Luke Rodgers, put the ball down and sent a long free kick into the box spotting fellow Herts colleague Oliver Campbell who towered above the Yorkshire defence to glance the ball into the goal with the faintest of touches giving us an underserved lead. We knew if we could survive the half holding onto our lead we could re-organise and come out of the blocks for the second half.

Team manager, Andy McCrae, delivered some good pointers at halftime, we made a couple of changes and started the second half with the composure, speed and confidence we didn’t have in the first half.  Ten minutes into the second half, trialist Emmanuel Banahene darted down the right, rounding two defenders and finally being upended as he went past the third. Penalty. Who to take it???? Up stepped Smith-Joseph and it was two nil. Seventeen minutes into the second half, Yorkshire broke free, a mistake in the heart of the defence and the Yorkshire striker pulled one back.

Shortly after Bealonians Jake Scully stopped a goal bound shot from a corner on the line (Always keep a defender on the post at corners! – cheers Bill (Blackwell Senior Rep Team Coach)) keeping our lead intact. We weathered the storm and grew in stature. There was only going to be one winner. Man of the match Asha Cato-Tyson, from Old Parmiterians, grabbed control of the midfield and marshaled the game really getting under the skin of the Yorkshire midfield, breaking down every attack and leading the counter attack for us. I hope he stays in the AFC and makes a move into the senior squad next year.

Asha was fouled in the centre of midfield and again Luke Rodgers grabbed the ball. Seeing the Yorkshire keeper slightly off his line, he launched a 30-yard shot on target, which just dropped under the crossbar with only 10 minutes to go.

With five minutes to go, the AFC defence had a little wobble allowing Yorkshire to pull one back, giving both Andy McCrae and David Cross guaranteed heart palpitations for the last few but we managed to hold out and secure a deserved victory. 

We look forward to a hat trick of victories next year!

David Cross

Forthcoming fixtures

23 March v Southern Amateur League

Kick-off: 7.30pm

Wadham Lodge Sports Ground
Kitchener Rd
E17 4JP

Squad for FA Inter League Cup fixture v Southern Amateur League

The representative team squad for the game v Southern Amateur League is as follows:






























AFC 6 - 0 Herts Savers League - Wednesday 9 September 2015


In preparation for the NSL fixture on 26/9/2015 against Jersey FC at Redbridge FC, the AFC fielded a side with three trialists involved, with a couple of overnight call offs the AFC had a squad of 12 for this game.

At a great venue and excellent playing surface the game started well for the AFC, very dominant in possession and as asked for by the management extremely positive in their direction. This resulted in some fluid play and several chances early on only for these to be missed by the AFC. The AFC controlled the first half and this resulted in 13 shots on the HSSC target and additionally two efforts disallowed, the AFC totally in charge. Only worrying moment was a quick free kick by HSSC and the forwards cleverly headed flick beat the approaching Partlett only to see his effort drift wide.

Half time 0 - 0

Second half the AFC started powerfully and this resulted in the breakthough the AFC required - this being a good finish by Heritage. AFC continued to control the game and and any pressure placed by HSSC was comfortably dealt with by the AFC back line led by T Dorgu. From this solid base numerous chances continued to be created and this resulted in a further 5 goals for the AFC (C Jones 3, N Breathanoux, Alozie). The pick of the bunch being a fanastic volley by Breathanoux from a Mariani cross.

Great team effort with some excellent individual performances team listed below:


26/9/2015 Suppport welcome at Redbridge FC kick off 1pm.

Mid Sussex 0 v AFC 3

25/4/15 @ Burgess Hill FC

The AFC keenly awaited this fixture especially after the previous week’s excellent result against

YAL (4 – 2). With a good squad available and the travelling good AFC had prepared well.

The game started at fast pace and with both teams being closed down and with the pitch not being the best (Being polite there)! Players had trouble making some of the simple things look difficult. The game provided two different styles of play, the AFC looking to pass and move and Mid Sussex looking for the direct long ball over our back four, basically a war of attrition.

Due to the difficult surface the game did not produce a bundle of chances in the first half, Mid Sussex had a long shot which was easily dealt with by Parlett. AFC had a couple of efforts from Stevens and free kick from Brethanoux which did not really trouble the keeper. Then as the AFC started to control the middle of the park and get the wingers into the game McLennon & Heritage, things started to happen. Following a piece of pressure a good cross from the right was partially intercepted but stood up nicely for Heritage to calmly lob the advancing Mid Sussex keeper from a narrow angle. The first half continued without much issue and the AFC led 1-0 at half time.

AFC started brightly in the second half and the midfield trio of Stevens, A Da Silva & Brethanoux started to win the battle and get better service in the wide players and Sawyer at point. With the back four let superbly by Dorgu the AFC was not under much pressure. Following a good passing move and a positive pass which the left back could not deal with, allowed Heritage to steal the ball from him and glide in on goal, a cool head and footwork made light of the finish. The game was now under the AFC control and the work rate was still there for all to see and from this they benefited. Following a foul a quick free kick by Ash Da Silva released Stevens who fed the debutant McLennon and his neat turn and cracking finished killed the game, AFC 3-0.

With the game over, Holt, Grayburn and Ellis came on to give fresh legs and all provided another option and the chances began to flow unfortunately none taken. Sawyer had possible 3, Holt 1 , Chapman 1 and Stevens 1 the score could have been bigger.

Roll on to round 1 and we keenly await the draw on 14th May 2015.

From myself I would I like to thank Fred Nuckey for his hard work and all the AFC supporters who made the effort to get to the venue and support us, the players and I really appreciate your effort.

Score 3-0

Heritage 2, McLennon 1

MOM – Timi Dorgu

AFC 4 v Yorkshire Amateur League 2

18/4/15 @ Bealonians FC

The annual fixture against YAL is always eagerly awaited and with the added U21 fixture being staged the day was set. The weather was good and both pitches at Bealonians were in top condition, only thing missing was more support for this annual fixture, but many thanks to those that did attend and provided support for AFC Rep side, especially Tony Julien.

Game started in a competitive manner (As we expect) with some strong tackles going in, the early pressure was being created by the YAL with several direct long balls behind the AFC back four but these were dealt with by Dorgu and Ashby G in a sound manner. Debutant Wilson had a good battle with the nippy YAL winger but was coming out on top in what was a good battle all game.

AFC with a change in shape in the middle of park took control of the game and a flowing move involving Brethanoux, Stevens and Heritage provided a simple finish for Holt. With the AFC on top and pushing another move involving Wilson, Stevens released Heritage whom calmly slotted the second. The game was all AFC and the YAL were struggling to penetrate the AFC back line superbly marshalled by Dorgu.

Following a direct long pass from Dorgu which released Harold, who ran through unopposed and finished well from the angle 18 yards out, AFC 3-0 - Half time!

Second half the AFC continue to play neat football and create a few chances, but the YAL with the slight wind at their back continued to play direct, mainly from the GK long kicks, these being dealt with by the back line and Gillingham in the AFC goal when required. The YAL did continue to press and received their just rewards a good diagonal cross was met with a strong header giving Gillingham no chance, could this light the fire for a fight back, unfortunately for the YAL, no!

After the restart a good move saw Dorgu (centre half) break away down the right get in played by Harold and Dorgu finished like a seasoned striker across the keeper. The fire had been put out!!

The AFC went down to 10 due to injuries and the YAL continued to push and try and get back into the game, they were rewarded in the 93 minute when a soft penalty was awarded, good conversion 4-2 to AFC. End of game and a reasonable one at that.

Thanks to all whom supported and especially to Bealonians for hosting games and hospitality.

Man of the match was given to AFC captain Dave Stevens.

Score 1 - 1 (SAL won 10-9 on penalties), 11 March

With both managers struggling to obtain commitment for the game it was finally good to see both sides out on the pitch
and playing, even with the pitch being a bit difficult.

The game started at a strong pace and the SAL took hold of the game with some high pressure football which saw some excellent
individual work from several of their players, but the AFC held firm and weathered the storm that was hitting them.
Then against the flow of the game the AFC broke down the right hand side with Jon Harrold and his fine threaded pass found
Craig Jones who calmly slotted pass the SAL keeper.
This did not affect the SAL and they continued to dominate the half and the AFC required Chris Partlett to be alert on several through passes and shots. Following a late tackle the SAL clipped the top of the bar from the resulting free kick.
The half continued with SAL pressuring and the AFC holding firm and looking to counter attack.

AFC made some changes at half time with Ian Sawyer and Johnny Sexton entering the affair, the change in formation had the desired affect with the AFC finally getting a better share of the possession and this allowed our defenders to get a much needed rest.
The SAL continued to play a quick game and this resulted in a couple of half chances, with one header from a corner being cleared of the line by AFC player. AFC created a couple of half chances but did not take these and this allowed the SAL to stay in the game, they were rewarded with 10 minutes left following a scramble the SAL player calmly finished in the bottom corner with a tidy volley.
AFC tried to push back and a chance for Craig Jones was wasted as he fired over from 12 yards on the run, but the AFC could have had other chances but for some poor final ball.

Game finished 1-1 and a penalty shoot was undertaken for the trophy, SAL winners 10-9 after a good set of penalties for both teams.

My thanks to SAL for their hospitality and hosting of the fixture.
Also I would like to thank Adam Chalk (EOG) and Eamon Keant (Albanians) for their help with players in the week leading up to the fixture.

Next fixture
31st March 2015 v Surrey Elite League (Colliers Wood FC)
Squad to be announced.

Yorkshire Amateur League 4 - 1 AFC (26 April, Huddersfield Amateur Football Club)

The annual fixture had been a problem before the actual match had kicked-off with Bill Blackwell able to only secure 11 players to travel to Yorkshire. This proved to be their downfall when at times they were playing with only nine men!

The group contained four more debutants increasing the committee's remit to provide more access to the rep side for all worthy players. Preparation was good for the game and the players appeared keen to give a good account of themselves.

In a new shape the AFC took a while to get into the flow of the game and this allowed the Yorkshire Amateur League (YAL) to have the majority of the possession and from this they created a couple of half chances. What was to be a solid partnership all game, Woodward and O'Sullivan held firm under the early pressure.

From this solid base this allowed the AFC to try and get into their stride, unfortunately for them the pitch was not the greatest and 'neat and tidy' football was very difficult to play. The game ebbed and flowed and a couple of direct balls by YAL had the AFC chasing back but these were dealt with by the back four consisting of Woodward,O'Sullivan, Smith and Grayburn.

25 minutes down and the AFC played their best piece of football, with Campbell and Payne combining to put through Francis, his early burst of pace take him goal-wards and his early shot was good but dealt with by the YAL goalkeeper. From the long kick, which AFC did not deal with too well, YAL won a corner. The corner itself was not great but AFC failed to clear and the second ball fell kindly to YAL player who buried it past Parlett. 1-0 YAL.

Then on 30 minutes the turning point of the game, AFC sustained an injury to Brethanoux who had to leave the field after trying to continue, NO SUBS! 10 v 11 and the AFC were under heavy pressure now, especially with additional knock to Salmon. Unfortunately, AFC could not hold out and the YAL went on to score another to make the score YAL 2-0.

The AFC continued to battle and all players put in a shift and this provided AFC with a couple of half chances that they could not finish off. Then following the award of a cheap free kick, from which the YAL scored again with the AFC missing the first and second ball, YAL 3-0. Just after this the YAL number nine made a nasty tackle on Woodward and was rightly red carded.

Half time YAL 3 v AFC 0.

The AFC half time chat was around being confident and trying to play, even on this poor surface. A change in shape seemed to have done the trick as the AFC came out and started to play and put more pressure on the YAL back line. Francis started to get into the game and his work and skill down the left hand side was a pleasure to watch, he created several chances and was a constant threat.

YAL continued to play on the break and on several occasions had chances to really kill the game, but the whole AFC side worked tirelessly to regroup and defend in numbers to prevent further score.

With Francis still hurting the YAL right back, finally a breakthrough, a deep pass caught by Francis some good skill and positive cross was met by Sawyer who volleyed across goal for Payne to scramble into the net, YAL 3-1 with 15 minutes left.  Unfortunately what should have been confidence boost for the AFC players did not last long, from the kick-off, no pressure or tackles and the YAL went through to score and really kill the game.

The game to continued to flow with the tired AFC players working very hard, unfortunately for O'Sullivan this resulted in a hamstring injury which would make him a doubt for the LOB cup final.

In the last moments of the game AFC had another two chances which fell to Salmon and Payne unfortunately these where not taken and the score stayed YAL 4 v AFC 1

Many thanks to all 11 players and Fred, Alex, Andy & John for their support.

MOM: Z Francis and C Payne

AFC 1 - 2 Surrey Elite League (19 October, Corinthian Casuals)

A game the squad had been looking forward to for over two years came and went rather quickly! The ground was excellent and the pitch even better and pre-match the boys all looked ready to play the Surrey Elite League.

The game started at a terrific pace with both sides getting a lot of possession, it was the AFC who made the early possession pay! Some pressure resulted in a couple of corners, from one of these Lettington created havoc at the front post and the ball was partially cleared by SEL. It fell directly to Woodward who hit a shot into the floor that found its way into the net, 1 – 0 AFC after two minutes.

SEL responded well from this set back and their set up of three central midfielders caused the AFC some issues but the defence held firm.The game continued to flow from ‘End to End’ both sides getting half chances but all were not taken. O’Sullivan at right back was having a big battle with the lively winger and this was an area that the SEL used during the early part of the half.

With the number five playing from the back the AFC were pushed back and had to be resolute in their defending, unfortunately we had what looked to be a weak penalty decision go against us, Partlett nearly kept out the hard down the middle shot, unlucky, 1-1. Both teams continued to play and both were better in possession then when not! Minimal chances for both up to half time score 1-1.

Some tactical changes were made the by the AFC at the start of the second half. They started the half better than the SEL both wingers getting further up field, especially Heritage who started to cause major problems for SEL down the right. Numerous chances started to be created a header from Stevens well saved, several shots blocked by last ditch defending from the SEL and worst of all some misses.  

The half was starting to belong to the AFC and they constantly pushed the SEL back as the shape change had stopped them playing out from the back, long goal kicks were being dealt with by Woodward and Lettington as the AFC used the second ball to attack and attack.Further chances created by Heritage and Olushola from wide and the constant prompting of Brethanoux and Da Silva gave the AFC a chance to win this game.

The introduction of Holt gave the AFC a new threat, firstly an excellent left-footed shot just cleared the bar and then with six minutes to go, great work by Heritage and back post cross found Holt alone, unfortunately from seven yards his volley flew over, AFC’s best chance to take the lead.

With the game into added time, a weak free kick was awarded to the SEL, they took full advantage and an excellent delivery found an unmarked player eight yards out who sent a neat header flew past Partlett, 2-1 to SEL – GAME OVER.

Many thanks to those that supported the AFC on the day and special thanks to Fred Nuckey for all his hard work. Well done to the SEL and good luck in the future rounds, a good game played in the right way.

Only two years to the next one!!!!

Bill Blackwell

AFC Manager

AFC 10 - 0 London Legal League (9 October, Wadham Lodge)

This game was an important fixture for the AFC in their build up to the FA NSL cup fixture on the 19 October against the Surrey Elite League. Following the previous game a week ago against Cambridge University, which was a strongly contested fixture, this was a mis-match.

The AFC had some changes from the previous fixture taking Blackwell’s usage of players to 49 in his reign and with all these people performing well picking a team is never easy now, but is a good position to be in! The squad of 15 for this game was a strong collection of players and they proved too good for the LLL.

The goals were spread about between seven players and AFC scored five in each half and if not for the LLL goalkeeper and further wasted chances the score could have been higher. In between the goals the AFC played some good controlled football with the passing sharp and movement positive, as asked the work rate and effort was of a high tempo throughout the game and the players must take credit for the high standard that they maintained during a one sided fixture. Additional credit must be given to the LLL who do not give up and played the game in the right manner, well done to them.

Big thanks to the officials on the night who performed excellently and also for the support from

John Brookes from Hale End who provided physio coverage, all this appreciated.

Our next game is the big one against the Surrey Elite League on Saturday 19 October!


Squad:  D Aristidou, A Da Silva (Old Minchendenians), C Payne (Bealonians), C Parlett, N Woodward (Old Suttonians), C Heritage (Old Hamptonians), S Holt, D Lettington, B Olushola (HAC), S Lewis, J Mariani (Old Parmiterians), A McCombe, M O’Sullivan (Old Meadonians)

Goals: B Olushoa 2, A Da Silva 2, D Aristidou 2, J Mariani 1, C Jones 1, C Heritage 1, S Holt 1

AFC 2- 0 Cambridge University (2 October, Dulwich Hamlet FC)

This game was the first of three in 14 days for the AFC with the main event being on 19 October 2013 for the FA NSL fixture. The AFC welcomed a youthful looking CUAFC side for their first fixture of the season, the side contained some new faces who had AFC rep side experience but not under this management.

On an excellent surface the game started at a lightening pace and this tempo set the standard for a very good game. The AFC gained the early advantage and their quick passing and pressure led to several corners, from the second one, Woodward should have done better. More pressure resulted in more set plays which saw AFC have one cleared off the line and another just wide, CUAFC were struggling to cope with the delivery and movement of the AFC at these set plays, unfortunately the AFC could not turn chances in goals.

CUAFC settled and the left back started making several powerful runs and the centre half delivered some great cross field passes this all caused the AFC some problems and the back line of O’Sullivan, McCombe, Lettington, Woodward needed to work hard to stave off these attacks. CUAFC continued to play the AFC on the break and their best chances came when we gave away possession by attempting forceful passes, CUAFC should have taken the lead after creating two or three excellent chances on the AFC goal, on a couple of occasions it required strong handling by Parlett to keep the score at 0-0.

The game continued to flow from end to end and the AFC really started to press with Mariani and Heritage pushing down both flanks and these provided further chances for Jones, who had good header saved and was unlucky with another chance from eight yards which was provided by Mariani. Late into the first half CUAFC continued to make progress and following good save by Parlett the follow up shot was cleared off the AFC line by Woodward.

Half time 0 – 0

The second half started well for the AFC and again they pushed CUAFC backwards and their pressure resulted in an early corner, from this Woodward found some room and headed in powerfully, 1-0 AFC. This early goal settled the AFC and they started to play a much more controlled passing game and with this came various chances, unfortunately just the finishing touch was missing. Additionally the CUAFC keeper made several good stops from AFC strikers. With only a 1-0 lead the AFC had to be wary of the CUAFC quick strikers and on a couple of occasions Parlett was required to make good stops. But the half was being controlled by the AFC and numerous chances were missed, one of these was following a terrific move involving several players with the final pass from Mariani finding Sergeant at the back post – unfortunately his left-foot strike hit the inside of the post and was cleared by the CUAFC defenders.

More AFC attacking followed and this resulted in last ditch tackles which produced a couple of free-kicks which Stevens took, these were both well saved by CUAFC. However, Stevens was not to be denied and with about 10 minutes to go he struck a wonderful strike from around 25 yards which flew over the keeper into the top corner, excellent goal. The game finished 2-0 to the AFC.

The game had some excellent individual performances for the AFC, Woodward, McCombe O’Sullivan.

A big thanks to Robert Ryan and his assistants for their handling of the game and additionally I would like to say thank you for those that turned up and supported the AFC.


Man of Match: Nick Woodward (Old Suttonians)

Goals: Woodward (Old Suttonians), Stevens (HAC)

Squad: C Parlett, N Woodward (Old Suttonians), M O’Sullivan, A McCombe, C Jones, R Bright (Old Meadonians), D Lettington, N Brethanoux, T Kaiser, D Stevens, J Sergeant (HAC), C Heritage (Old Hampronians), C Payne (Bealonians), J Mariana (Old Parmiterians)

© Amateur Football Combination 2013
Website developed by FirePixel